Monday 11 February 2013

Rough Ideas

After having a look at the UK Greetings website and having a group discussion and looking at some ideas, we then moved on to prepare for a rough initial pitch. The idea of this was to come up with at least three ideas ready to tell the group for feedback. 

To begin with I started to think about the occasion that I want to make my cards for. The two that initially stood out for me was Birthday and Christmas, I also wanted to come with a third occasion which I referred to from the list I came up with during the discussion. 


The main idea/ theme that stood out for me was the idea of using materials and textures, I liked the idea of having a card that looked home made. 


These are some materials and textures that I have come up with. I quite liked the idea of using materials that could be recycled. The materials that I would use would be used to make the imagery for the front of the cards. With the use of these things, it will help to give my cards a home made feel.


My first idea that I came up with was for Birthday cards. To start off with I thought of imagery that I could use which relates to theme of 'Birthday'. As you can see down the left hand side I have come up with a list of some ideas. On the right I have started think about what I could use for the imagery. The first thing that I thought of was the use of a balloon outline; I liked the idea of having bits of fabric and patterned materials cut out in the shape of a balloon, which I thought to be quite quirky. I found some examples on line of different patterns and ribbons that I could use; what I'll need to do is go out and have a look around for materials that I could potentially use. As well as using fabric, I also thought of using buttons to make an outline of a balloon; I would need to experiment and try it out in my sketch book. Another thought that I had was using ribbon on birthday presents, which I will also need to try out.


I then moved on to my next idea, with the occasion being Christmas cards. Again down the left hand side, I made a list of images that relate to the 'Christmas' theme. On the right hand side I started to come up with ideas. Sticking with the idea of using materials and textures, I thought of using bits like tinsel and sequins to come up with an image of a Christmas tree. On line I found a quirky looking Christmas tree made using twigs and decorations which I really liked. Another idea that I came up with is perhaps using old cards and to use them to make new cards. I thought of having a bauble outline and using old cards cut them up and collage them to fill in the centre of the bauble. 


This is the third idea that I came up, although it is not as clear as the previous two. The occasion for third idea is New Baby cards. On the left hand side I have come up with a list of possible image ideas relating to the theme of 'New Baby'. I still want to go with the idea of using materials to make the imagery.

Feedback/ Discussion from my Initial Pitch

I received good, positive feedback from the discussion of my idea. Although I did receive some good pointers as to what I could do to improve/ develop my idea further. It was suggested that I could link my cards to charities, so that some of the money of the card price will go to a charity. I liked this idea and thought of some charities that I would quite like to do it for, also the Christmas cards that I looked at on the UK Greetings site had cards that were linked to charities. 
I am now going to develop my ideas further ready to officially pitch my idea to the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment