Friday 18 November 2011

Generating Ideas: World War I

From coming up with my brainstorm and making a mood board, I decided to focus on World War I propaganda posters. I felt with the posters that I had looked at, I thought that I would be able to come up with the best ideas. I went on to then make another mood board which is just of World War I posters, this helped me to see the types of colours that I needed to use and the different layout styles.

Mood Board
Above is the mood board that I came up with. There are quite a few posters from this selection that I like, in particular the 'We Can Do It' and 'Your Country Needs You' posters. I think that it helped me a lot making this mood board because I was able to visually see the types of characteristics that I needed to include in order for people to be able to recognise the period of my poster. I need to research serif and sans serif fonts because they are both used in the posters. I also need to think about the layouts, from looking at these posters most of them are divided by either having the text at the top and the image underneath or the other way around, also in some of them the image takes up most of the image and is the thing that is making the statement.


World War I Propaganda Posters
These are some examples of World War I propaganda posters that I have picked out from the mood board above. I have bullet pointed the characteristics, which I will need to take into consideration when designing my own poster.


From looking at this poster you can see that the overall poster is eye catching and bold. The use of font is sans serif which makes the text really clear and easy to read. The text is quite bold and the white is clear against the dark blue background. The yellow background makes the poster bright and instantly draws your attention. The image takes up most of the page and is helping to give over the message. 

From looking at this poster you can see that the overall poster is not particularly eye catching but the design is simple and is gets the message across clearly. The use of font is serif which makes the text bold and stands out and it is also easy to read. The text is pretty clear against the plain background. The image takes up most of the page and is instantly directing the message of the poster to the audience.

From looking at this poster you can see that the overall poster is not particularly eye catching but the message that is being put across is clear and simple. The use of font is sans serif, which makes the text clear and easy to read. The blue text stands out fairly well against the pale coloured background. The page has been divided up, the picture is at the top of the page and the text is underneath which is one way in which I could lay out my poster. The image isn't that big but it clearly demonstrates what the man looking at the poster needs to do.

From looking at this poster you can see that the overall poster is quite busy and there is quite a lot happening although I think the message that is being put across is simple. The use of font is sans serif, which makes the text clear and easy to read. The yellow against the black background makes the text bolder and look a lot clearer. The page is divided, there is text at the top and at the bottom of the page and the picture is in the middle. The colours are fairly bright, especially the colour of the font. The image is pretty big and clearly shows what the subject of the poster is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment