Tuesday 30 October 2012

www.ournewhaven.org.uk

I have found this website really useful with finding out information about the things my Great Grandma has spoken about in her account.


www.ournewhaven.org.uk

After going through the account, I went on to this website and had a look at the different sections and searched for relevant information that I could put in to my Ebook. In the account, my Great Grandma talks about a place called Guinness House, I found a few sections on this website which gave me information about the place and a brief history about it, there was also old pictures of the house on the website with some floor plans which I found helpful.

http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/page_id__1842_path__0p3p84p.aspx

Here are a couple of points about Guinness House that I found on this website:
- It was designed by architect John L Denman and built by Ringmar Building works in 1938
- It provides an inexpensive holiday accommodation for 'working class' families from the Trust's London Estates



I also found out from the looking at the page, which I have taken a screen shot of, that there were secret tunnels underneath the house. My Grandma told me that my Great Grandma worked there as a steward during the war, I'll need to find out some more information about this so which I can include in my Ebook. 

Moving on from looking at Guinness House, I also used this site to have a look at WW2 camps and the area in which she lived at the time of the war. I found this website gave some really useful information and pictures that I'll be able to use in my Ebook and I found out things that we didn't initially know very much about.

http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/page_id__2414_path__0p3p77p108p.aspx

I found some good ariel images of the area in which my Great Grandma lived and also some information about the area on this page.

Mount Pleasant, Newhaven

http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/page_id__1872_path__0p3p77p108p.aspx

Whilst looking through the website I came across a section which talks about Army Transit Camps in Mount Pleasant, which is something that my Great Grandma mentions in her account. I had a look the page and found out quite a bit of information which I can include in my book. 


Here are some information that I found in this section:

"Newhaven hosted many temporary military camps over the years - the last one was the large military encampment created on Mount Pleasant 1940/41."

"70 years on, there is residual evidence remains of nearly 100 Nissen huts and about a dozen larger communal buildings that were sited a long the then undeveloped roads of Mount Pleasant."

"The physical evidence (much now disturbed) of former Nissen hits foundations lies in the flattened 'levels' parallel to and set back from some roads."

"A grand scheme for Mount Pleasant was published in 1904. Roads were laid out and water mains installed and the whole territory was divided up into 20ft wide by 100ft deep plots but for a variety of reasons (the Great War 1914-1918 and the post war recessions of the 1920's and 1930's) only a handful of properties ever materialised."

"The few street lamps that existed were disconnected because of wartime blackout regulations."

No comments:

Post a Comment