Friday 11 May 2012

Ideas/ Pitch

Now that I have looked at a wide range of one page websites, I can start to design my own website. As well as beginning to think of a design I also need to put it in a pitch to present to the rest of the group. 


The first thing that I did was look back at the research that I did and the focus of the two websites that I particularly liked. 



From the first website that I looked at I picked some of the elements from the site that I really liked and want to use and incorporate into my own design. The main heading, which is pictured above, is something that I would really like to try myself and I think would look really effective. I have also picked out the images, I would like to put my own mark so that it would pretty individual to me on my own website. 

This is the other website that I looked at and took elements out from the site. I have pretty much taken the same bits out as I did with the previous website, and I now feel on the right track in coming up with a design for my own website.

Moving on from looking at these two websites, I then went on to look at how I wanted my layout for my website to look. When I was first given the brief I initially thought of having my layout to go from left to right instead of having one long page, however after researching other one page website I felt more swayed to having it as one long page. I thought that I could have a more effective design by having it that way and as I wanted quite a simple design I thought the long page would fulfil what I wanted to achieve. 


This is a rough layout as to how I would like my page to look, its quite simple but I think it will just as effective once it has been made. I am thinking of having the title of the website in the top left hand corner, whilst next to that on the right hand side having a horizontal navigation bar. On the left hand side of the page I would like to have a vertical navigation bar that will come down the page as people look through each section, this would mean people would be able to jump to any section that they want and they wouldn't need to keep scrolling to the top of the page to get some navigation. Down the centre of the page there will be the content for each section, which will be broken up with some sort of graphic. 

After looking at layouts, I then moved on to colour schemes. I knew roughly the sort of colours that I wanted to use, it was just a case of experimenting with them and seeing how effectively they worked and if they didn't then developing them and finding different colours that I could potentially use.


These were the initial colours that I came up with. I knew these were not the exact shades that I wanted for my website, however I liked the idea of using mainly pinks and blues. After experimenting in Illustrator with the types of colours that I wanted, I settled on using this colour scheme:


I chose to use lighter shades of the initial colour scheme that I came up with. I based this on the idea of the first website that I looked at, with the use of pastel, light colours which I thought looked effective and appealing. I am going to use the beige type colour for the background and then use the other colours for imagery, navigation and for the headings/ titles. 

From looking at layout and colours I then came up with a flow diagram for how I wanted my navigation to look. 


I want the navigation to be simple and easy to use, so each page will link to each other.

When it came to looking at fonts for my headings/ title I was a bit stuck as to what to use. I knew how I wanted to look and I wanted something to show in my pitch. These were the initial fonts that I chose to use for my mock up.


They are not particularly exciting fonts, however I am going to work and develop them and come with a selection of fonts that look slightly more effective and appealing.


This was my main inspiration for my title. I like the idea of the different fonts and having each word a different colour. I also thought that by having some of the words all in capitals and some just in lower case was really effective and it meant that each word was able to stand out individually. In Illustrator I went on to try doing this style for my own title, I used the fonts that I initially came up with.

This is what I came up with. I used the colours from my colour scheme and used the same idea as the heading from the website. I still need to work on developing this further by experimenting with some different fonts that aren't so boring.

In my pitch I wanted to include some graphics that I was thinking of including in my site. I decided to show some images that I found on the internet and next to that some that I have experimented and made in Illustrator.


The graphics on the left are what I found on the internet and the graphics on the right are just a few that I came up with in Illustrator.

After coming up with all this, I then went on to make a rough mock up of some of the page using Illustrator. My mock up isn't completed but I wanted something to show to the group for pitch, so that I got a chance to receive some feedback on my idea and then I could then see from the points what I could to improve/ develop my idea further.


This is my mock up that I put in my pitch, it doesn't show very much of the page but its just a rough idea of how I would like things to look. I don't think that I would keep the graphics that are in it, but I was just playing around in Illustrator with potential ideas. I also experimented with colours for the background and the colour of the lines that will be used to break down the page.

---------------------------------------------------------
After the Pitch:

The feedback that I received from the pitch was really positive and I can now move on to develop my idea and come up with a full page mock up where I can then move on to make my site properly. The main comments that I received were about some of the graphics that were on the page, which I completely agreed with and I'm going to change. There were also points about my font choices which I found helpful as I now know which direction I need to head in in order to develop it further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment